Tomato, Basil, and Fresh Mozzarella Salad
For basil sauce:
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices yellow tomato
- 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices red tomato
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
To prepare basil sauce:
- Cook 1 cup basil leaves in boiling water 15 seconds; drain.
- Plunge basil into ice water; drain and pat dry.
- Combine basil and broth in a blender; process until smooth. Let mixture stand 2 hours at room temperature.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
- Add vinegar and salt, stirring with a whisk.
To prepare salad:
- Arrange yellow and red tomato slices alternately on a large platter.
- Drizzle with basil sauce; sprinkle with cheese and pepper.
- Top with 1/2 cup sliced basil. Serve immediately.
Salmon with Basil Sauce
Makes: 4 Servings
- 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Drizzle salmon with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside 10 minutes to absorb flavor.
- Meanwhile, combine basil, 1/2 cup olive oil, and remaining ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped, and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté salmon 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until desired degree of doneness. Place on serving plates. In the warm skillet, heat reserved basil sauce, and pour over salmon.
Perfect Pairing: California lifestyle expert Susie Coelho recommends Meridian Pinot Noir for the Salmon with Basil Sauce. A hint of lemon means the recipe would work equally well with Meridian’s Chardonnay. Another option is Meridian Sauvignon Blanc. Its bright, sunny quality matches the acidity of the tomatoes.
Recipe Credit: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/salmon-with-basil-sauce